I really enjoyed reading my colleagues' PBL lessons they created this week. It was interesting to see how differently we were all able to integrate the various subjects. I think that PBL offers a great opportunity to 1)really get students engaged in learning, 2) integrate subjects, and 3) allow students to use their learning in a real-world, authentic situation. However, PBL can also be a daunting task for a teacher to undertake. It is very time consuming to plan and to implement. It requires collaboration among various teachers and a variety of materials. Because this type of learning is (sadly) not very common in K-12 classrooms, I feel that the first few times students attempt a PBL project, they might need a lot of guidance. However, with some persistence, patience, planning, and practice, I think students and teachers alike can become more proficient at using PBL in the classroom and will really see the benefits in student learning.
I would love to hear how you use PBL in your classroom!
I agree with you on the logistics of this type of project undertaking. It is truly sad that teachers aren't given time to plan effectively to incorporate PBL projects into their curriculum/lessons. There are so many demands on the k-5 teachers with meetings, paperwork, RTI and a host of other demands on their time. Not to mention that "teacher work days" have turned into "furlough days". PBL would be so beneficial for the younger students. The reality is, it is more feasible for the middle and high schools.
ReplyDelete